I remember the few times I’ve visited a club - being pretty amped for a girl to notice my dancing. Any girl! Just searching for the wrong things. Status bla bla. And I love dancing. Dancing with close mates at a 21st or frequent weddings of late; going crazy in corporate worship.
So the last night when taking two mates of mine home who are coming around that age where, you can go along to a teen club. (When I first heard of this I was bummed. People have found a niche to exploit.. almost starting people young on clubbing, drinking.. pursuing emptiness.) So ya, I was frustrated. Then I had a thort:
Jesus wouldn’t run away from it. He’d embrace it. But we’re human, aren't we gonna get it wrong?
Now, being a Christian and wanting to club is a tough thing to grapple with. You enjoy the dancing, the mixing with the friends who are not Christian. I mean, if you look at it, God has placed you in this place of influence. You’ve discovered that you connect with all types of people. But them being saved is not even a concern to you.. cos this is life! How can we live this abundant life being enslaved and in captivity? It’s great that these guys are grappling with it and they’re being real about it. The really want to know answers. Hmm.. what to do.
Young people want to be part of something fun. Something almost, significant.
And with DJ-ing, the one guy has the RADDEST opportunity to minister into people’s lives. First up with in the moment, praying for individuals he sees who need God, slipping in some Christian club music here and there.. His sphere of influence is unique and has great potential.
God’s voice is muffled with this controversial thought. I can hear Him in this, but it’s, you know, muffled. The hardest part of all is to actually believe that the meaning of life, the stuff of all atoms, is to be in a relationship with Jesus, not to be religious. Something we're beginning to leave behind is the religious pious spirit amongst us. It’s actually overwhelming me, and I don’t know how to react.
So the questions of the night are the things I am hungry to know myself. So I said, lets sleep on this, for real, and talk some more. Cos I have no clue at all actually! If i reckognise it, I hate any form of bias. I know what my christian mind says in response, but my spirit is familiar with something better. So I’m stumbling into this, and I’m going to stumble out. I have no clue what I’m about to write about, let alone understand...
“And that’s great!” God says. “That’s exactly where I want him.. in deep uncertainty.”
The question for me is.. what are we hungry for?
If I could let that question simmer for a bit, I might get somewhere. In fact, stop reading for a moment. Just for a moment, why don’t you and God go somewhere and think about that for a bit? "What am I hungry for?"
Welcome back. We’re in a progressive culture. And God? A progressive God. A relevant God. A present God.
He’s right here. Now.
What do I want to be hungry for?
Justice. Not revenge.
Grace. Not criticism.
I was talking with a friend the other night at church who leaned over and whispered something to me but directed sarcastically to this other kid standing a few metres away “Oh, whats that? You getting over God now?” She doesn’t have too much of a clear idea of Christ, yet. But Jesus looks at her with love. Mark 10:21 "Jesus looked at him and loved him."
If you we’re getting this right.. imagine how, on fire you would be for Jesus and his saving power. You’re in the front lines! Right there! You’re in the mix! You’re surrounded by satans workmen.. and you’re there to battle this thing. (That’s why I get queezy going to those places now.. cos I can literally feel the siff vibe. Ever get that? Ever been in a conversation with someone demonized?)
My friend, Ben, know’s sign language, and taught me how to sign/say ‘Jesus’. Recently, I was at a matric dance and I remembered it, told my dance partner and signed 'Jesus Christ continuously on the dance floor. I was 'extending the kingdom' to J.T's song, “I’m bringing sexy back”! [If you wanna know some sign language, catch me, if you can.]
So what are we really hungry for?
What is our primary pursuit?
God calls us to be set apart. Can we be set apart amidst all the beautiful noise of our families, our schools, our clubs, our bars, our stores? Our churches? Imagine.
[ Check out: www.bluelikejazz.com www.relevantmagazine.com www.newattitude.org/beta www.covlife.org/one ]
No comments:
Post a Comment